Sunday, February 3, 2013

Prejudice Map Questions


›  To what extent do you agree with the representations on the map? (give an example)
A lot of the things on this map are relatively positive. They are just generalizations. So I agree with some of the things, like if the country says that it is polite, then I will agree with that. But it is the offensive things that are wrong.
›  Do you find this amusing, helpful or outrageous? (Give reasons for your response)\
I find it amusing. Just because of some of the things they say, like for France they say that they spoil their dogs, or for Australia that we are obsessed with sport. I don't think that this could be considered helpful, unless you were planning on going to a country and only expecting the stereotypes. I also don't think that it could be considered outrageous because they mostly say positive things on it.
›  What do you think about the comments about Australia? If you were asked to provide evidence of this what would you say?
I would say that we aren’t really no-nonsense. We can take a joke and poke fun at things (ESPECIALLY our politicians). Some people are obsessed with sport, but not all the people in Australia will be so upset that they missed the footy game that they cant function properly. We are reasonably direct, so I wouldn't really disagree with that, but it isn’t so direct that you feel offended. And we are very friendly.
›  How accurate is the title ‘Prejudice Map’? Or should it be called ‘ Stereotypes Map’? What is the difference between these two words?
I think that it should be called the Stereotypes map instead of Prejudice map. I don't think that it is the objective of this map to discriminate against a certain nation, it is just there to present the different stereotypes from the various nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment