Saturday, February 16, 2013

Larrikin has had his day...

 Larrikinism
 Mateship
  •  "Boisterous often badly behaved men"... among our ranks.
  • In other words we want to do as we please- larrikins forever- and bend the rules when it suits us.
  • and I'll take them over the "Bad behaviour" of a larrikin any day.

  •  Who cares if you drive a Holden or a Hyundai, or you prefer rice to pasta?
  • What matters is that you commit to the principals of a fair go, pulling your weight and helping your mates.
  • Why not forget larrikinism and an aversion to authority and focus instead on preserving ideals of a fair go, mateship and hard work?



I am not sure if I agree with this representation of Australia. The Author of this article makes it out as if most of us are larrikins and we need to take up the ideals of the rest of the populations mateship, when in reality, Australia is not split like that. I highly doubt that we would still be surviving as a nation if the majority of us were Larrikins. Also, I think that even if we were tog I've up our larrikinism then we definitely would not magically turn into mates where everyone is happy with everyone else. That is a very far fetched idea, yes Australians are polite, and we do like to treat everyone as our mates, but truth is that not everyone is. If we were to give up the idea of larrikinism then I think that we would find it hard to co-exist properly. I think that the idea of larrikinism is part of what makes Australia Australia and so to take it away would not be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment